Spend a day exploring the Rijksmuseum (The State Museum) when you are in Amsterdam. With approximately 8,000 pieces of art and history, the museum reflects more than 800 years of international travel by the Dutch.
From masterpieces like Rembrandt’s famous “Night Watch” to special collections of silver, jewelry, weapons and model ships, you are almost guaranteed to discover something new and wonderous.
My tips for a better experience:
- Wear your walking shoes. There are more than 80 galleries to explore.
- Plan on a crowd if you go to the museum to escape the rain because many other people will have the same idea.
- Visit the nearby Van Gogh Museum first if you plan to visit both on the same day. It is much smaller and then you can easily fill the rest of your day at the Rijkmuseum.
- Start your visit promptly when the museum opens.
- Take a break at the café in the atrium.
Learn more about the Rijksmuseum.