Some of the apples always get peeled, sliced and cooked with cinnamon to make applesauce. Not only does it freeze well, but it also works perfectly in this favorite recipe.
Applesauce spice cake recipe
1 cup sugar
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1.5 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1.5 teaspoons ground nutmeg
1.5 teaspoons ground cloves
1.5 cups applesauce (or 1 lb. jar)
1/3 cup shortening (I use butter flavored)
1 cup chopped nuts
1 cup chopped raisins*
*My mom likes to soak the raisins in hot water to plump them up before mixing them into the final batter.
1. Combine and sift dry ingredients (including nuts and raisins) into a bowl.
2. Heat applesauce and add shortening. Stir until shortening is melted.
3. Add applesauce/shortening mixture to dry ingredients.
4. Mix and pour into 13 x 9-inch pan.
5. Bake for 35-40 minutes in 350-degree oven.